Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tumbling Composter

Its cold and drizzly today but I did manage to do a little something after working last nite...







I started out using a 55 gal plastic drum.A good place to obtain these drums is to call your local car washes,thats how I got mine,it was free always better..Be sure and clean the inside out really well...I cleaned the inside after I cut my door..Thats the 1st step I did was to cut the door,I used a jigsaw and layed it out with a square and pencil...
Next step-- I drilled holes all in the container for ventilation and drainage
 3rd step-- I cut the holes in the ends.I found the center and I already knew I was going to use a 2 in pipe so I just made my holes two inches,you can use a soup can or coffee cup what ever is close to 2 inches and draw your circle then cut it out.I used a jigsaw for this also..
4th step-- I added a piece of angle iron to the inside that I bought at the hardware store,this was for a counterbalance and also if youve seen the inside of a washer or dryer,there will be fins for lack of better word to help with tumbling..When I say counterbalance,I put it opposite the door,that way more weight will be at the bottom making the door always on top..
5th step-- I bought 4 toilet flanges and then I put one on each side of the holes on the ends and bolted them together,this makes like a bearing for the drum to spin on ..Two on the inside and two on the outside..
6th step-- I added the door back onto the drum,using the same piece I previously cut out..I attached it with two hinges and a latch
7th step I added a piece of pipe for the drum to spin on ..
Next I will build a frame for all this to sit on,I want to keep in mind to have it high enough off the ground to place a wheelbarrow under..Im thinking two 4x4s in the ground with holes for the pipe to run through then a handle on the drum in order to spin it...something simple...this last pic.is just to give you an idea of the size of this beast..should be able to make a lot of compost in this and the price is very very good on it..I checked the prices at stores and I couldnt justify it,I thought to myself why pay 150.00 when I can build it for 10.00..And the 30 gal. one that I got for free at another carwash that one will be for compost tea,more to come on that later....


And here it is Finished
Join us at Seed Traders If you like to trade seed for heirloom veggies,flowers,shrubs and Tree's


10 comments:

  1. Very creative and resourceful! :) I have been thinking of making some rain barrels, but nothing as fancy as your composter! Just a way to catch rain and use it to try and conserve water a little. Very cool post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a really cool idea for just pennies! You have a real talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have given me a project to ponder over the winter. Thanks and nice job!


    http://thegardenyouandi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your information is really awesome as well as it is very excellent and i got more interesting information from your blog.
    Drum Composter, Nachiket Group is one of the best Drum Composter suppliers in pune. It is the best Drum Composter manufacturer. We provide Drum Composter in pune at cheap cost.

    Drum Composter

    ReplyDelete
  5. your information is really awesome as well as it is very excellent and i got more interesting information from your blog.
    Nachiket Group supply Organic Waste Converter in pune. It is the best Organic Waste Converter provider in India. Organic Waste Converter manufacturer in Pune.
    Organic Waste Converter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your information is really awesome as well as it is very excellent and i got more interesting information from your blog.
    Organic Waste Converter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your information is really awesome as well as it is very excellent and i got more interesting information from your blog.
    Drum Composter


    ReplyDelete